Sunday, June 01, 2008

We (Might) Have A Winner

Last week I went to the city shelter. A kill-shelter. I found a beautiful dog named Frenchy. German Shepard mix, two years old, long sexy legs, and a silky black and chestnut coat. Oh, did I mention the sassy curly tail and the soulful chocolate eyes?

We passed the initial interview and our application was stamped approved. All that we had to do to take Frenchy home was introduce her to Lola.

A "Meet and Greet" on the grounds of the city shelter.

Now, Lola has issues. I mean, she was originally rescued from a junkyard in Brooklyn. She can be aggressive with other dogs, is abnormally protective of her people, and has a LOUD bark.

But she has had a whole bunch of doggy friends. Like, Hara the Rottweiler and Nova the Labrador. We know that she has social skills. Other dogs just have to get used to her. I was a little worried, but not too worried..

So this is how it went. I showed up at the shelter with Lola the Dog and Mikah the Baby. A young girl greeted us and explained that I would not be present for the meeting. I asked, "Are you serious?" and she said, "Yes."

She took Lola's leash and led us to another building. Lola was then taken to the "Meeting Room." Via another door, I saw Frenchy brought into the building and led to that same room.

Three minutes later, maybe less, Lola was marched back out to me. My heart sunk. I saw Frenchy leave through the same door she entered. Ugh.

The chick holding Lola's leash then explained that my dog didn't like their dog. Sorry. No doubt about it. This adoption wasn't going to happen. Good luck to you and your unworthy family. Good bye. And oh, yeah, we'll euthanize about twenty dogs before sundown. Cheers.

Can you say DE... VA... STATED?

Took me a few days do get over that one.

After a lot of griping, and cursing, and crying to Jamil, I pulled myself together. Started looking for an alternative. Because I'm not BUYING a puppy, and I know that we are a good home for some unwanted mutt.

Enter Rescue Foundations. Google "dog rescue" and the name of your home town, and be prepared to be amazed at the quanity of lonely dogs that really need you.

Here's one:



















He's three, he's nuetered, and he's a force to be reckoned with. Meet Sargeant Monkey Scruffles McShrimpToast.

He's spending a two-week trial period with us. We love him already.


































He bosses Lola around, sleeps in our bed, and sticks to me like glue. This little dude can hang.

3 comments:

Laura Scott said...

You're such a good mommy! Mikah is always so happy and your doggy children are too. I don't think I could handle dogs and children. Thus the lack of pets that my children desperately want....dog adoption is in the plans for next summer though, just please don't let my children know that yet!

Familie de Geus said...

Listen, I would have mailed you Solomon if you were looking for a shrimpy, bossy and clingy pet. I'm ready to ship him off....he's a brat. So sweet to Stella and us, but no one else can come over without being berated and harrassed (just for the 1st 10 minutes they're there) by our 8 lb. dog.
Awww...but I love my boy though!

Sheepishlion said...

I like this one, didn't you want a chihuahua once? This dog seems much cooler. Good luck with your adoption process.